If the Caveau de la Huchette belongs to Music History,
it is also inseparable from the history of Paris itself.
Long before 1551, the building bearing the N°5 on rue de la Huchette was the meeting place of
both the" Rosicrucians " and the " Templers ", and in 1772 was transformed into a secret lodge.
One approached it by way of rue de la Parcheminerie, rue de l'Hotel-Dieu and Petit-pont.
This lodge was composed of two basement rooms one on top of the other, which served as
meeting rooms. From that location two secret subterranean passages branched out, one leading
to Châtelet, the other under the cloister of Saint-Séverin .
In 1789 and all during the revolutionary period, this building known as " Caveau de la Terreur "
housed the" Club des Cordeliers " and " des Montagnards ". In the upper room, transformed into
a public-house, one drank, sang and argued about " la liberté ". The principal members of the
" Convention " could be found there (Danton, Marat, Saint-Just and Robespierre),
and numerous trials were conducted on the spot (followed by peremptory executions). You will
find there one after another, the court room, the prison, the place of execution. In the lower
room, there still exists a very deep well, used to remove all evidence of the crimes committed
there. These rooms are unquestionably authentic, historically accurate, and preserved in their
original state. Arms from that epoch still decorate the walls (swords, muskets, etc and
jealousy guarded : a chastity belt).